Category: Nursing Home Abuse Posted on Nov 17, 2017

How to Report Nursing Home Abuse in Connecticut

How to Report Nursing Home Abuse in CTNursing home abuse is a serious problem, with countless residents every year throughout the United States and Connecticut suffering harm as a result of nursing home abuse or neglect.

If you suspect or know that abuse is happening, whether to a loved one of yours or another elderly patient, it is important that you take action to report the abuse immediately.

If you believe that the abuse is life-threatening or puts the patient at risk of imminent bodily harm, you should contact the police. Otherwise, here’s how to report nursing home abuse in Connecticut.

If you are interested in having us evaluate if the nursing home resident is entitled to damages (money) as compensation for the abuse, call our Connecticut nursing home abuse lawyers at (860) 561-0651 before filing a complaint with the state or with the ombudsman.

We can help you craft the language to avoid jeopardizing the claim for damages.

Filing a Complaint for Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect

There are different avenues available for filing a complaint about a healthcare facility or a healthcare practitioner in Connecticut. If you are filing a complaint about a healthcare facility such as a nursing home, you should address the complaint to the Facility Licensing and Investigations Section of the Connecticut Department of Public Health. You can do this by phone at 860-509-7400. There is also a toll free number that you can call, which exists specifically to receive complaints about home health services. It is 800-828-9769. You may also send an email to You may want to consider giving us a call first, as we can help you to maneuver these obstacles without jeopardizing your claim.

Contacting the Long-term Care Ombudsman Program in CT

Another option is to contact the Long-term Care Ombudsman Program in Connecticut. The CT Ombudsman program protects and promotes the rights of residents in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities throughout the state.

You can call the office toll free at 1-866-388-1888, contact the central office at 860-424-5200, or send an email to

Consider giving us a call first so that we can advise you on the best solution before you report a nursing home neglect or abuse claim to the state.

Reporting Nursing Home Abuse and Other Problems

If you believe that a nursing home resident is being abused or that other problems are occurring within the nursing home, such as neglect, you have a responsibility to take action.

As a first step, recommends you to address the issue with the nursing home staff. If the problem persists, you may speak with the nursing home supervisor or administrator.

If the problem continues or if the abuse is serious, more aggressive action may be necessary. In addition to the organizations already mentioned, the Connecticut State Department on Aging may also be able to help.

If you are getting ready to report abuse, understand that it is essential for you to provide as many details about the nursing home abuse as possible.

You should keep thorough documentation of all signs of abuse. Remember to take notes about conversations you have had with nursing home staff and administrators about potential abuse.

Once you have gotten all of this information together, contact our nursing home abuse lawyers in Connecticut so that we can put you on the right track.

Contact Our Connecticut Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys for More Information

Reporting abuse is an important part of protecting the elderly within our state.

If your loved one has been abused in a CT nursing home, our lawyers can help you in reporting the abuse to the appropriate agency, and ensure the abusive party is held liable for harm.

To learn more about your options for filing a nursing home abuse lawsuit and recovering compensation for damages, please call (860) 561-0651 or contact the experienced Connecticut nursing home abuse lawyers at StangerLaw LLC, today.

Bruce Stanger

My litigation experience includes family law, divorce, product liability, construction law, professional negligence, shareholder disputes, legal malpractice, and general commercial litigation.