Auto Accident Checklist
After an auto accident, be sure to take the following steps:
- Get immediate medical attention if you are injured.
- Get to a safe place, if possible.
- Call 911 and report the accident, any injuries, and whether or not the accident scene is still a danger to others.
- Call the police so they can file a police report.
- Avoid discussing fault with the other driver, passengers, or witnesses.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with all of the other driver(s) involved in the crash.
- Write down the vehicle information of all cars involved in the accident, such as vehicle identification number, year, make, and model.
- Speak to any witnesses and get their contact information.
- Document the accident by taking pictures of the damaged vehicles and the accident scene.
- Report the accident to your insurance company and begin the claims process.
- Do not speak to the other driver’s insurance company or give any statements about how the accident happened.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer, if necessary.
It is important to contact an injury attorney as soon as you can after the accident. The attorney can gather evidence, assess the case, and determine if there are solid grounds to pursue a case against the at-fault party. You only get a limited amount of time to file a claim for compensation, so act promptly.