This application is for start-up organizations that wish to incorporate and/or obtain recognition of 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status recognition from the IRS.
If you are an existing organization, please use the Existing Application for Legal Services.
Please answer all questions and submit all documentation.
An incomplete application will not be considered.
Submitting a request for legal assistance to Stanger Stanfield Law, LLC is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Submit it, all at once, by emailing it to email@example.com.
If you are notified that the size of the email is too large, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so that an alternate method of delivery can be arranged.
See the following notes:
- Please do not submit jpeg documents.
- All documents must be in Word or PDF form.
Please do not scan all requested documents as one PDF; rather please submit each of the requested documents as a separate document.
- A Business Plan or similar document. At a minimum, this should address the following:
- What is the mission of the organization?
- Detailed description of actual and proposed activities of the organization that will accomplish the mission.
- Who are the target beneficiaries of the actual and proposed activities of the organization?
- In which communities will the activities be conducted?
- What other groups are addressing the same mission and/or issues in these communities and how will your organization differ?
- Summary of steps taken, if any, to partner with another organization to carry out your actual and proposed activities. Have you worked with a fiscal sponsor in connection with the activities of the organization? If yes, please provide the name of the sponsor. If no, do you plan to work with a fiscal sponsor?
- Reasons why you have not explored/do not wish to explore partnering with another organization or fiscal sponsorship.
- What are the organization’s expected sources of financial support?
- What specific fundraising plans does the organization have and what fundraising has been conducted?
- Proposed three-year budget (use the sample budget template in Excel that is on our website
- Description of your experience, if any, working with a charitable organization.
- List of potential board members (at least three), their experience, if any, working with a charitable organization, and their home and business addresses.
- List of potential officers, and titles, their experience, if any, working with a charitable organization, and their home and business addresses.
- Proposed staffing plan for the organization (employees and/or volunteers).
- Summary of steps taken, if any, to partner with another organization to carry out your actual and proposed activities.
- Any additional information that you would like us to consider.
- Brochures, fliers or similar materials (if any) that describe your organization
- If the nonprofit is already incorporated, provide the following documents”
- Certificate of Incorporation (sometimes referred to as Articles of Incorporation) and any amendments to it. If you have the copy that is stamped “Filed” with the state of incorporation, please send that version.
- List of board members and officers, including their titles and affiliations (that is, the names of their employers) and city and state of residence
- Bylaws in Word format
- Organizational minutes or consents, if any
- Copy of any document for which you are requesting specific assistance.
Please also review the following resources on our website: